Sunday, June 14, 2009

Introspection

It has been one year of professional life and I found time to look back at how things stand. I work for an Analytics firm with clients mostly distributed in the US. My current client is the largest publicly owned P & C Insurance company in the US and my earlier client Zappos.com. Working for two completely different industries, Insurance and Retail in a span of 1 year was in itself so satisfying.

Here are a few pointers on what went great and not-so-great. Let me start off with the positive ones
  1. I have made a good impression. I had satisfied my colleagues and my clients with the work I did, the dedication I had shown and more importantly I was satisfied with myself, for the passion to learn and perform better was still intact
  2. The learning was vast and fast. By learning I just dont mean domain or analytics specific knowledge, but the I had picked up Project management skills
  3. I had explored my execution skills (the corporate term for getting things done)
  4. I am happy to have worked with brainiacs who either are imparting knowledge or are in constant thirst for
  5. And last but not the least, I am lucky to have hung around a bunch of people who help me strike a balance and make me realise the existence of a personal life
Negative pointers
  1. I am moving faster than anticipated from I belong, that is my IT background. I am afraid I wont be able to catch back
  2. Live in the present: Always been the motto. But in professional life, you should have a foresight of atleast 5 years of what you want to do.
  3. My brain is not natually made up to be an entrepreneur. The efforts to become one had failed me this year
  4. Finally striking the right balance of personal, professional life and within professional - striking a balance with what I am doing and what I want to do
So what I am saying is, It is all about being happy. There are a lot of dependencies, yet we the puppeteers of the strings attached

No comments:

Post a Comment